Dale's appears to be cynical and pessimistic, desensitized by his experience investigating violent crimes at the FBI. His macabre sense of humor and sardonic attitude make him a hard person to like, but eventually he and Winter form a great partnership.
Garret Dale was born into the world of wealth and corruption. His family is one of the oldest in the country, and has accumulated an obscene amount of wealth through the centuries. Despite that, he chose to pursue a career in law enforcement, which caused a rift between him and his father, who then effectively disowned him.
Garret worked as a police detective before applying to the FBI. Despite the fact that he had cut ties with his family, his career was plagued with rumors of nepotism and preferential treatment.
In Chapter #3 of the game, it is revealed that his uncle, Senator Bartholomew Dale, was a low ranking member of the Syndicate. However the full scale of his involvement in the conspiracy remains unclear.
- He is most likely named after actor Garret Dillahunt
- His childhood pet was a pony named Pegasus
- Dale mentions that he doesn't drink alcohol. Later in the game a shapeshifter named Henry Malone, while pretending to be Dale, declares that he needs a drink. It is one of the clues that hint on his true identity before it is eventually revealed.
- During Winter's acid trip in Chapter #4, Dale appears to her as a costumed superhero "Ubermensch". This is most likely a joke referring to Dale's resemblance to actor Henry Cavill, who portrays Superman.
- One of the first things Dale tells to Winter is "Cheer up, rookie. It's a homicide, not a funeral". This is an indirect quote from Millenium episode 2x09, "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense"